Usual criteria for family joining a branch
Evidence is required that at least one child in the family has intellectual or creative ability in the top 5%. This acknowledges that some children with such ability may not be performing in the top 5% at present. This evidence could be any of the following:
- Letter from school/parent with specific information about the child’s learning, social behaviour or development indicating ability in the top 5%.
PAT (done in most schools after age of 6) or other educational assessment
- NSW examinations
- IQ test or psychological assessment
- Reading age
- Attendance at special ability/accelerant programmes such as CWSA, CWEA, George Parkyn Centre, Gifted Kids Programme and GATE
- Membership at another branch or similar organisation with similar criteria
Parents/guardians may personally recommend that their children are eligible for membership of the NZ Association for Gifted Children. They must provide details to the membership secretary showing why they consider their child is gifted.
lf there is definitive evidence of giftedness, e.g. PATs, IQ testing, reading age
on or above the 95th percentile, approval will be given immediately.
- Some formalised testing that indicates that the child is working or able to work:at or above the 95th percentile: e.g. school reports or tests, extra-curricular activities, etc.
- Specific information about the child's learning, social behaviour or development
indicating ability in the gifted category e.g. reading well at 3 years of age.
- Examples of the child’s work, e.g. writing, art work, maths
- The ability to competently handle curricula standards set for an age 2 years
above the child's age
With other applications there may be some delay, as the membership secretary may need to take them to the branch committee. If a branch requires any further advice in ascertaining whether potential members meet membership criteria, they can refer to the National council.
Sometimes parents or any other referee may be requested to provide further
Follow us on
|The National Body|
|For the Branches|
|Find your way around this site|