Date: 08-02-12 14:49
I am a graduate student about to complete a graduate diploma in teaching and learning. As a part of my final 10 weeks of this qualification I am researching what support and opportunities are available for children who are gifted in visual arts.
I would greatly appreciate any stories/information/contact details etc about any experiences parents or teachers may have had with their child who is gifted in visual arts.
The questions I would like to answer are things such as:
- What support is available for teachers who have a child who is gifted in visual arts in their class?
- What support is available for parents?
- Are schools offering extension for these children?
- Which schools are doing a fantastic job?
- Are there programs available through schools for outside school hours?
- If there are not programs available through your school where do you go to nurture and extend your child?
These are just a few ideas of the direction I am taking with this research. I am interested in developing a resource website where parents and teachers can go for support.
Extra information about me:
I was a child who was gifted in visual arts, I was lucky enough to have very supportive teachers throughout school who nurtured my talent, however I know that it is not like this for all children. Since leaving school I have completed a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Whitecliffe College of Art and Design, I am completing my graduate diploma at Canterbury University's College of Education. I am also a private art tutor in my spare moments!
Any information anyone can offer will be much appreciated. Please feel free to email me at email@example.com if you do not wish to post something to the forum.